Monday, August 3, 2009

Oh, these are the essentials?

I leave for Atlanta in the morning and I'm feeling pretty anxious. Did I pack everything? Do I know where I'm going? Where I'm parking?

I haven't traveled much in my life. I've been on an airplane nine times. I could count because it wasn't very many! For my very first flight, I did a one-way to Phoenix and came back to Houston via the Car Ride From Hell. It wasn't anyone's fault, but I traveled back with my sister, her husband and their two kids. The youngest one (now middle), was about six months old. Every time it was my turn to sleep, she would cry and scream. I don't blame her, I wanted to do the same! Add in the dog and the cat, and it was a VERY long trip back home.

Of all those trips, I only flew alone that first one. That was pre-911 so not only were the security and everything different, but someone dropped me off and picked me up. So, this is my first real adult airport trip. I booked my own ticket, am driving to the airport and parking in the city economy lot and I'll be all alone.

This is one of those times where I feel like I'm a kid wearing an adult suit. I'm 30 years old and kind of freaked out about doing all of this alone. Is 6 a.m. too early to drink in the airport bar? Is the airport bar even open at 6 a.m.? Probably not -- stupid Texas liquor laws. I don't think they can serve until 8.

I've got my bag all packed. I've got a list of things to do in the morning taped to the back of the front door (am I the only one that does that?). I put a pair of underwear in my purse in case my luggage doesn't make it.

I'm about to go to bed at 10 o'clock for the first time in forever. The alarm should be going off .. shit, I didn't set the alarm. What else am I forgetting?

I leave you with one of my favorite clips from Brian Regan (This is the first time I've added a video so you'll have to click the link and watch it until I figure out how to embed them.)

I'll be coming to you live from Atlanta tomorrow. And I didn't proofread this so hopefully it makes sense and I didn't use the wrong homophone anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment